Givhans Ferry  Hero Image

Givhans Ferry

Givhans Ferry  Image
Park Logo
Clock Logo

HOURS

April-Sept. 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. Mid Sept.-Oct., M-Th 9 a.m. - 6 p.m., F-Su 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. Nov.-March 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.

OFFICE

11 a.m. - noon & 4 - 5 p.m., daily

Admission Logo

ADMISSION

$5 adults; $3.25 SC seniors (age 65 & older); $3 children ages 6-15; ages 5 and under, free.

Pets Logo

PETS

Pets are not allowed in the cabins or the cabin areas. Pets are allowed in most other outdoor areas provided they are kept under physical restraint or on a leash not longer than six feet. Owners will be asked to remove noisy or dangerous pets or pets that threaten or harass wildlife.

Givhans Ferry State Park  Has Wifi

Wifi Available

Givhans Ferry State Park

Coast

History & Interpretation

  • Programs and Guided Tours: Programs and guided tours are available by request. Astronomy programs are held at the park each year and a nature walk in the spring. For more information, be sure to check our programs and events listings.

  • Burial Sites and Cemeteries: Mary Ford's grave, the granddaughter of Phillip Givhan, whom the park was named after, is located on the park.

  • Historical Significance: The park was named after Phillip Givhan, the area ferry master. He was the ferry master in the late 1700's. Later he became the transportation commissioner and the name was changed to Givhan's Ferry on Dec. 9, 1789.

    The ferry was the point where you could cross the Edisto River and connected Augusta to Charleston. It was called the Charleston to Augusta/Savannah pass.

  • Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC): Yes
  • Designation: Givhans Ferry State Park was developed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a New Deal Program created by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The program was designed to provide employment during the Great Depression while addressing national needs in conservation and recreation.

    The CCC was instrumental in the development of many of South Carolina's state parks. A number of buildings built by the CCC in the 1930's are still in use at this park.

    The park's riverbanks are protected as a Heritage Trust Site.

  • When & How PRT Acquired: Donated in 1934 by the City of Charleston