Important Park Information
SC State Parks Open as of Friday, May 1
PLEASE READ ALL INFORMATION BELOW
Following public health protocols, South Carolina State Parks reopened on Friday, May 1. Group facilities like picnic shelters and community buildings, will remain closed for the time being, and visitor gathering places like interpretive centers and park offices will operate on a limited scale.
- We ask that all visitors follow our social distancing guidelines put into place. Please click here for that information.
- Most parks are back to regular operations, with a few exceptions. These parks have reduced operational hours: Andrew Jackson, Caesars Head, Colleton, Colonial Dorchester, Edisto Beach, Goodale, Jones Gap, Paris Mountain and Sesquicentennial. Visit their pages on this website for amended hours. Please know, we are experiencing increased park visitation during this time and parks may reach normal capacities and close for a period of time. This is not unusual during popular times of the year, especially on weekends.
- Park admission can be purchased online to limit contact with park staff. Please purchase the same day you plan on visiting. Present receipt at the park gate for entry. If you purchase in advance, you are not guaranteed entry.
- Also, please note, if you are a park passport holder, this does not guarantee you entry to any park if that park is full and gates are closed.
- State parks are honoring and accepting new reservations for camping and cabins. Please advise: At this time, large gatherings are not permitted in cabins/villas or campgrounds, based on restrictions recommended by the CDC and SCDHEC. Please limit cabin/villa and campground guests to those staying overnight until grouping restrictions and park capacities are lifted.
- State park Visitor Centers opened on Monday, May 11, and feature proper signage, physical indicators and barriers in place to ensure the safety of staff and visitors.
- All state park retail stores and spaces opened Friday, May 15. SCPRT will use SCDHEC and CDC guidance to determine the maximum occupancy in these common area facilities in order to maintain social distancing rules and limit contact between staff and visitors.
- Due to the difficulty of effectively cleaning equipment, all playgrounds will be closed until further notice. All playground areas will be cordoned off and signed appropriately.
- Golf courses will be open, but social distancing practices will be put into place.
- Most trails and outdoor spaces will be open. Please follow outdoor recreation social distancing guidelines and trail etiquette. Be respectful of others.
- Some parks are renting canoes, kayaks, paddleboards or jon boats. Please call the park you are interested for specific information.
- Swimming areas are open as of Friday, May 22. The pool at Hickory Knob remains closed along with the splash pad at Sesquicentennial.
- Group rental facilities opened on June 1 for groups of 50 or less. These facilities include all shelters and community buildings, wedding venues, group camps and any other facility rented for the purpose of a large gathering. No fees will be assessed for any cancellation or rescheduling for events occurring prior to July 1. Determinations regarding future cancellations will be made in accordance with the status of health and safety guidelines.
- Until further notice, state parks will not conduct park programs or tours of historic homes or other historic structures such as the Hunting Island Lighthouse. The Atalaya Castle at Huntington Beach State Park is open for self-guided tours. Meanwhile, Facebook Live interpretive programming that became popular in March and April will continue on a limited schedule and can be followed here.
RESERVATION CALL CENTER
- The call center for reservations will be open now Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Please call 1-866-345-7275 for all reservations and questions about reservations.
CHARLES TOWNE LANDING
- The Animal Forest and the Adventure at Charles Towne Landing are open as of Friday, May 22.
JONES GAP STATE PARK
- There will be new parking procedures put in place at Jones Gap for Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Please read this document for detailed information.
SOUTH CAROLINA STATE HOUSE TOURS & GIFT SHOP
- The South Carolina State House tour desk and gift shop is closed until further notice.
PARK PASSPORT HOLDERS:
If you are currently a park passport holder, we will do one of two things to give you back the month you will be missing.
- When you purchase a new passport, we will add the extra month on to that passport at no charge.
- When your current passport expires, you may turn it in and we'll give you another passport for the month missed at no charge.
Thank you for your understanding and patience during these unprecedented times. Please stay tuned to our social media and website, for updates and information.