Important Park Information
SC State Parks Open
PLEASE READ ALL INFORMATION BELOW
- We ask that all visitors follow our social distancing guidelines put into place. Please click here for that information.
- Please be reminded to pack a face mask when you visit state parks. Visitors over the age of two years old are required to wear a mask in any state park facility staffed by employees or where the general public may congregate. This includes park offices, visitor centers, stores, nature centers, restrooms or while touring any indoor facility being considered for rent. In the event that visitors do not have a mask, they will be asked to remain outside of the facility and park employees will assist them and accommodate their needs, if possible.
Any park rental facility to include cabins, campsites, picnic shelters, group facilities, etc, are considered as having restricted use and will be the responsibility of the party renting that facility. It is recommended that they follow all CDC and SCDHEC guidelines regarding social distancing and mask wearing, but park staff will not be responsible for reinforcing those guidelines. Please be advised that where more stringent, parks are following the rules of their local city/county regarding the wearing of face masks.
- Most parks are back to regular operations, with a few exceptions. These parks have reduced operational hours: Caesars Head, Goodale, Jones Gap and Paris Mountain. Visit their pages on this website for amended hours. Please know, we are experiencing increased park visitation during this time and parks may reach normal capacities and close for a period of time. This is not unusual during popular times of the year, especially on weekends.
- Park admission can be purchased online to limit contact with park staff. Please purchase the same day you plan on visiting. Present receipt at the park gate for entry. If you purchase in advance, you are not guaranteed entry.
- Also, please note, if you are a park passport holder, this does not guarantee you entry to any park if that park is full and gates are closed.
- State parks are accepting new reservations for camping and cabins. Please advise: At this time, large gatherings are not permitted in cabins/villas or campgrounds, based on restrictions recommended by the CDC and SCDHEC. Please limit cabin/villa and campground guests to those staying overnight until grouping restrictions and park capacities are lifted.
- State park Visitor Centers are open and feature instructional signage, physical indicators and barriers to ensure the safety of staff and visitors.
- All state park retail stores and spaces are open. SCPRT will use SCDHEC and CDC guidance to determine the maximum occupancy in these common area facilities in order to maintain social distancing rules and limit contact between staff and visitors.
- Some playgrounds are open, while some remain closed. When using the playgrounds, please follow these guidelines.
- Golf courses will be open, but social distancing practices will be put into place.
- Most trails and outdoor spaces will be open. Please follow outdoor recreation social distancing guidelines and trail etiquette. Be respectful of others.
- Some parks are renting canoes, kayaks, paddleboards or jon boats. Please call the park you are interested for specific information.
- Swimming areas are open as of Friday, May 22. The splashpad at Sesquicentennial remains closed.
- Group rental facilities are open and operating at capacity but we ask that visitors take social distancing and CDC guidelines into consideration during their event including while interacting with staff. These facilities include all shelters and community buildings, wedding venues, group camps and any other facility rented for the purpose of a large gathering. No fees will be assessed for any cancellation or rescheduling for events occurring prior to July 1. Determinations regarding future cancellations will be made in accordance with the status of health and safety guidelines.
- Until further notice, state parks will not conduct park programs or tours of historic homes or other historic structures. The Atalaya Castle at Huntington Beach State Park is open for self-guided tours and the Hunting Island Lighthouse is open for climbing with reservations. Meanwhile, Facebook Live interpretive programming that became popular in March and April will continue on a limited schedule and can be followed here.
RESERVATION CALL CENTER
- The call center for reservations will be open now Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Please call 1-866-345-7275 for all reservations and questions about reservations.
JONES GAP STATE PARK
- There are new parking procedures put in place at Jones Gap for Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Please read this document for detailed information.
SOUTH CAROLINA STATE HOUSE TOURS & GIFT SHOP
- The State House gift shop is OPEN from Open 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday, and 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. on (most) Saturdays.
- You may do a self-guided tour of the State House, but guided State House tours are suspended until further notice. We apologize for any inconvenience.
PARK PASSPORT HOLDERS:
If you are currently a park passport holder, we will do one of two things to give you back the month you will be missing.
- When you purchase a new passport, we will add the extra month on to that passport at no charge.
- When your current passport expires, you may turn it in and we'll give you another passport for the month missed at no charge.
Thank you for your understanding and patience during these unprecedented times. Please stay tuned to our social media and website, for updates and information.