Oconee Station  State Historic Site
500 Oconee Station RD | Walhalla, SC 29691 | Phone: 864-638-0079 | oconeestation@scprt.com

History & Interpretation

William Richards House at Oconee Station

HISTORY AND INTERPRETATION

  • Programs and Guided Tours : Park programs are offered throughout the year, including living history weekends that are held at various times. Please check our programs and events listings for more information.

    Oconee Station is also a DiscoverCarolina Site, which provides curriculum-based social studies programs for South Carolina school children.

  • Historic Home : Yes
  • Native American History : The site served as an Indian trading post.

  • Revolutionary War History : Some Revolutionary War fighting took place in the area of Oconee Station.

  • Historical Significance : In the late 18th and early 19th century, this small plot of land along South Carolina’s western frontier served as a military compound against attack from the Cherokee and Creek Indians and later served as a trading post.

    The park contains two structures: Oconee Station, a stone blockhouse used as an outpost by the SC State Militia from about 1792 to 1799, and the William Richards House, named for the Irish immigrant who built it in 1805.

    The stone building circa 1792 was built by state militia to protect against Indian raids. It is the only remaining portion of the fort we called Oconee Station. Later it was converted to a kitchen to serve the William Richards house.

    The William Richards House was a residence built in 1805 until his death in 1809. The structure remained a home into the 1960s, and a summer home into the 1970s.

  • National Register of Historic Places : Yes
  • Designation : National Register
  • When & How PRT Acquired : Purchased in 1976 from Edward H. Fearney