Kings Mountain State Park
1277 Park RD | Blacksburg, SC 29702 | Phone: 803-222-3209 | Fax: 803-222-6948

History & Interpretation

The Kings Mountain Farm

HISTORY AND INTERPRETATION

  • Programs and Guided Tours : Kings Mountain is a DiscoverCarolina Site, which provides curriculum-based social studies programs for South Carolina school children.

    Living history days are also scheduled with volunteer demonstrations throughout the year. Ranger-led programs are also offered at various times and dates. Check out the programs and events listings for more details.

  • Farm : Self-guided tours of the Living History Farm are available 8am-8pm March through October and 8am-5pm November through February.

    The farm is a replica of a 19th century South Carolina yeoman farm which includes a barn, cotton gin and blacksmith/carpenter shop. School group tours available by appointment.

  • Historic Garden : A popular attraction at Kings Mountain is the Living History Farm, a replica of a mid-19th century Yeoman Farm. The farm has a house, barn, cotton gin, farm animals, blacksmith and weave shop as well as a garden. For a lower class yeoman farmer it was essential to grow their own food for the family and animals, make their own medicines from herbs and grow enough cotton to make clothes.

    Visitors to the Living History Farm will see a variety of heirloom species of crops and herbs in the garden, in addition to fruit trees and a small grape vineyard.

    The gardens at Kings Mountain are open during normal park operating hours.

  • Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) : Yes
  • National Register of Historic Places : Yes
  • Designation : Kings Mountain State Park was developed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a New Deal Program created by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The program was designed to provide employment during the Great Depression while addressing national needs in conservation and recreation.

    The CCC was instrumental in the development of many of South Carolina’s state parks. A number of buildings built by the CCC in the 1930's are still in use at this park.

  • When & How PRT Acquired : In 1934, 6,141 acres were donated by the US Government. In 1995 several land donations included: 268.5 acres donated by the Peeler Foundation; 109.9 acres donated by Carpenter, 33.27 acres donated by Van Dyke. Also in 1995, 332 acres were purchases from Whiteside.